Professorship for Clinical Trials
Stavros V. Konstantinides, MD, PhD, FESC
Medical Director of the CTH
Module C of the CTH initiates, designs, coordinates and conducts multicenter clinical trials on thrombotic disorders and antithrombotic treatment. Our research mainly focuses on advancing and optimizing the management of venous thromboembolism (VTE). In ongoing prospective cohort studies and interventional trials, we are developing and evaluating novel strategies for risk stratification of patients with acute pulmonary embolism (PE). Further studies of our Module concentrate on the feasibility and safety of home treatment of selected low-risk patients with PE, and on the risk of developing Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension (CTEPH) after acute VTE.
Beyond individual research projects, the vision of our Module and of the CTH is to play a leading role in networking national and European research groups and centers of excellence in the field of PE. With the support of experts from 15 European countries and from North America, we are currently in the process of constructing the European Pulmonary Embolism Network (EPENet).
A detailed overview of all ongoing projects as well as staff of "Clinical Trials" is available on our website www.unimedizin-mainz.de/cth-clinical-trials.
- Development and evaluation of multimarker strategies and combined scores for risk stratification of intermediate-risk PE
- Selection of low-risk patients with acute PE for early discharge and home treatment
- Investigation of cardiovascular risk factors common to arterial and venous thrombosis
- Long-term follow-up after acute VTE to assess the incidence and pathogenesis of CTEPH
Partners of Collaboration
- Partners of the University Medical Center Mainz: Prof. H. Binder, IMBEI; Prof. C. Espinola-Klein, Department of Medicine II, Sec. Angiology; Prof. T. Münzel, Department of Medicine II; Prof. M. Seibert-Grafe, IZKS Mainz
- European partners: Prof. C. Becattini, Perugia, IT; Prof. C. Binder, Vienna, AT; Prof. B. Brenner, Haifa, IL; Prof. P. Corris, Newcastle, UK; Prof. A. Geibel, Freiburg, DE; Prof. D. Jimenez, Madrid, ES; Dr. M. Kozak, Ljubljana, SLO; Prof. N. Kucher, Bern, CH; Prof. I. Lang, Vienna, AT; Prof. N. Meneveau, Besançon, FR; Prof. G. Meyer, Paris, FR; Prof. M. Monreal, Barcelona, ES; Prof. P. Pruszczyk, Warsaw, PL; Prof. M. Samarzija, Zagreb, HR; Prof. B. Stefanovic, Belgrade, SRB; Prof. A. Torbicki, Otwock, PL; Prof. T. Thum, Hannover, DE; Prof. D. Tziakas, Alexandroupolis, GR; Prof. F. Verschuren, Leuven, BE
- Prof. S.Z. Goldhaber, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, US, and the North American Thrombosis Forum (NATF)
- Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung – German Federal Ministry for Education and Research (Clinical Trial Funding Program, 2008-2013)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Kardiologie, Herz- und Kreislaufforschung – German Cardiac Society
- Pharmaceutical industry (co-funding of investigator initiated clinical trials of the Module)
The team of the Professorship for Clinical Trials you will find in building 403, 1st floor.
Team - Module Clinical Trials
- Konstantinides S, Lankeit M. Pulmonary embolism holinw 2012. Recent and expected trials. Hamostaseologie 2013. Feb; 33(1):43-50. doi: 10.5482/HAMO-12-12-0024.
- Lankeit M, Gómez V, Wagner C, Aujesky D, Recio M, Briongos S, Moores L, Yusen R, Konstantinides S, Jiménez D on behalf of the IRYCIS Pulmonary Embolism Study Group. A strategy combining imaging and laboratory biomarkers in comparison to a simplified clinical score for risk stratification of patients with acute pulmonary embolism. Chest 2012;141:916-922.
- Lankeit M, Jiménez D, Kostrubiec M, Dellas C, Hasenfuß G, Pruszczyk P, Konstantinides S. Predictive value of the highly sensitive troponin T assay and the simplified Pulmonary Embolism Severity Index in hemodynamically stable patients with acute pulmonary embolism: a prospective validation study. Circulation 2011;124:2716-2724.
- Konstantinides S, for the PEITHO Steering Committee. Single-bolus tenecteplase plus heparin compared with heparin alone for normotensive patients with acute pulmonary embolism who have evidence of right ventricular dysfunction and myocardial injury: rationale and design of the Pulmonary Embolism Thrombolysis (PEITHO) trial. Am Heart J 2012;163:33-38.e1.
- Dellas C, Lankeit M, Reiner C, Schäfer K, Hasenfuss G, Konstantinides S. BMI-independent inverse relationship of plasma leptin levels with outcome in patients with acute pulmonary embolism. Int J Obes (Lond) 2013 Feb; 37(2):204-10
- Vedovati MC, Becattini C, Agnelli G, Kamphuisen PW, Masotti L, Pruszczyk P, Casazza F, Salvi A, Grifoni S, Carugati A, Konstantinides S, Schreuder M, Golebiowski M, Duranti M. Multidetector computed tomography for acute pulmonary embolism: embolic burden and clinical outcome. Chest 2012 May; 142(6):1417-24
- Konstantinides S, Goldhaber SZ. Pulmonary embolism: risk assessment and management. Eur Heart J 2012; 33(24):3014-22.